Practice Areas: Family Law; Wills, Estates and Trusts
Admitted: Virginia, 1966; District of Columbia, 1972; U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1972; United States Supreme Court, 1972
Law School: American University, J.D., 1966
College: Pennsylvania State University, B.S., 1961; Sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta
Member: Virginia State Bar, Criminal Law Committee (1975-1980), Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Virginia Women Attorneys Association, Alexandria Bar Association (Secretary, 1972-1979; President, 1985), Fairfax Bar Association
Ms. Carlberg has had a long and distinguished legal career and has surpassed her fiftieth year practicing law. Ms. Carlberg has received Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating of “AV” and is listed as a pre-eminent attorney in the area of Domestic Relations/Family Law. Both distinctions are awarded by a review of her peers and local judges.
Ms. Carlberg graduated from law school from American University in 1966. During her time, she was a member of the American University Law Review. Ms. Carlberg has practiced in a number of areas of law throughout her legal career, but she now exclusively practices in the area of family law.
Ms. Carlberg has authored a number of articles throughout her career. Her articles include the following:
- “Criminal Law, Warrantless Arrest, Valid Even Though Practicable to Obtain a Warrant,” Vol. 15, No. 2, American University Law Review, February, 1966.
- “The Uniformed Services Former Spouses’ Protection Act,” 31 Virginia Bar News 43, February, 1983.
- “Domestic Relations Tax Reform Act: An Overview,” 33 Virginia Bar News No. 8, February, 1985; “Special Considerations in Representing a Military Member or Military Spouse,” 36 Virginia Bar News N. 6, December 1986.
- “Valuation of Husband’s Insurance Agency Was Key in Divorce Case,” Virginia Lawyers Weekly, Volume 20, Number 46, April 17, 2006.
Ms. Carlberg has also co-authored the following articles:
- “Winning Child Relocation Cases,” Virginia Lawyer The Official Publication of the Virginia State Bar, Volume 46, No. 9, April 1998.
- “Children: Chattels or Wild Animals? The Rule of Possession in Custody Cases,” Family Law News, Vol. 18, No. 4, Winter, 1998.
- “The Tiffany Trap: Allocating College and University Costs in Property Settlements,” Family Law News, Vol. 19, No. 1, Spring, 1999.
- “Divorce Litigation For Warriors: Sun Tzu and the Art of Divorce,” Family Law News, Vol. 20, No. 2, Summer 2000; “The Legal Basis For Appointing Independent Psychological Evaluators In Custody Cases,” Vol. 21, No. 2, Summer 2001.
Most recently, Ms. Carlberg participated in teaching a continuing legal education (CLE) class for the Alexandria Bar Association entitled “Military Law: Extraordinary Representation for Extraordinary People.”
Personal Information: Husband, Ronald Carlberg, is a retired Air Force Colonel and is a United States Naval Academy (1961) graduate. Their daughter, Jody Carlberg Astrom, resides in Los Angeles, California with her husband and many rescued pets. Ms. Carlberg enjoys football games at the Naval Academy, the practice of law, and writing articles. She is also an avid sports fan.
Reported Cases: Bullis v. Bullis, 22 Va. App. 24, 467 S.E.2d 830 (1996); Jordan v. Sauve, 219 Va. 448, 247 S.E.2d 739 (1978); Davis v. Califano, 603 F.2d 618 (7th Cir. 1979)